Before you start packing for your Langtang trek, you should know the answer to the question, ‘What Kind of Weather Do You Expect for Langtang Trek?’. This article will let you know what Langtang valley is like in different seasons so that you can choose your best time to go for Langtang trek.
Langtang valley is beautiful in all seasons. Every season has its own glory. Autumn season offers the best season for trekkers to do Langtang trek whereas, during Spring, the trail blooms with rhododendrons and other wildflowers. During these seasons you will enjoy the dry surrounding with a stable weather.
If you want to see rare flora and fauna, fresh and clean-washed, then trekking in Summer/Monsoon is the best option for you. During the winter season, you will find few fellow trekkers but an unbelievable view of the snow-capped peaks. During these seasons you will experience the humid surrounding with quite unstable weather conditions.
Table of Content
A Brief Overview of Langtang Trek
Langtang region is a northern border 61.8km away from the capital of Kathmandu. This is the most scenic and popular trekking spot near the capital.
The region is famous for the rhododendron and bamboo forests along with diverse vegetation. Buddhist temples and monasteries along with the stunning views of Mt. Langtang Lirung (7246m) add to the beauty of the Langtang region.
Langtang valley is also the home to the Tamang community who have their origins from Tibet. In fact, the name Langtang also comes from the Tibetan language. ‘Lang’ means Lama (a teacher of Tibetan Buddhism) and ‘Tang’ means to follow. This name comes from the tale that a Lama discovered Langtang valley.
Weather Variation in Langtang Region
The weather during your Langtang trek varies according to the seasons you are choosing this trip. Here are the details of the weather per season that you need to know about.
Spring Weather in Langtang Trek
Spring season is the second most popular trekking season all over Nepal. The spring days are long, warm and the air is crisp. The daytime temperature ranges between 10°C-20°C (50°F-68°F) this season. You will find the weather nice and warm during the daytime but nights are a bit cold.
Highlights of Spring Trek
- Spring is the time of rhododendron blossoms and the whole surrounding shining in the hues of reds, greens, blues, pinks, and whites.
- You can witness the spectacular views of the Himalayas from a height of 3900m at Kang Jin Gompa without the clouds disturbing you.
- You can enjoy the wildlife in its best and fresh forms.
Tips for Spring Trek
- As spring approaches after the winter season, you may find the nights and morning quite colder in March. So, you need to consider such cold while packing if you are trekking in early spring.
- Book your accommodations in advance to make sure you have a place to say. This is the second most popular trekking season. So, finding a place to stay without booking might be difficult.
- During day’s treks, you may sweat a lot under the sun. To prevent the bad odor you can use some deodorants.
Autumn Weather in Langtang Trek
Autumn is the most popular season for trekking in Nepal. The weather is amazing this season. The days are short but in the daytime, it is nice and sunny. At night, it gets cold (5 °C/ 41°F), though. The temperature also ranges between 10°C-20°C (50°F-68°F).
Highlights of Autumn Trek
- You can see the clear and stunning mountain views throughout your trek.
- You will walk through the autumn colored forests, breathe the fresh air and enjoy the entire sight.
- The entire Langtang valley is stunning with the celebrations of Dashain and Tihar during this season and the weather is perfect for trekking.
Tips for Autumn Trek
- If you plan to trek in this season, i.e. from September to mid-December, you should make your bookings ahead as well. Usually, people book the tea houses in advance because many people trek during this season.
- If you wish to avoid the traffic on the trails, then you can ask for the alternative routes that are less crowded. But this is safe only after you consult with your guide.
Winter Weather in Langtang Trek
The weather during the winter season i.e. December to February is cold. The temperature during the day ranges between 6°C-9°C (42.8°F-48.2°F). It drops below 0°C (32°F) at night. There are episodes of snowfalls and harsh winds. The lowest temperature is -3°C (26.6°F) in January.
Even though the valley is spectacular during this season, the cold weather is challenging. Most of the tea houses close down due to few visitors and difficulty in living conditions.
Highlights of Winter Trek
- Langtang valley during this season is one of the most beautiful valleys. The snow blankets the entire region and the mountains stand out in the clear blue skies. The colors blue and white dominate the entire region and the valley shines.
- The skies are clear during this season. So, you can see the mesmerizing views of the mountain.
Tips for Winter Trek
- Crampons are a good idea for a winter trek as they provide you with a great grip on the snow. Especially, when you trek downhill, crampons help you walk properly in the snow.
- The weather in the mountainous region normally remains unstable in the winter season. In the middle of the walk, you may encounter the heavy snow or blizzards. So, for the winter trek, you must come prepared for such weather variations.
Summer Weather in Langtang Trek
The weather during your summer trek will be hot with the temperature higher than 30°C (86°F). In July, the average temperature is 12.1°C (53.78°F). Monsoon also enters Nepal in this season. So, there are many periods of rainfall in the trek. It is hot but when it rains the temperature drops down making the trail slippery.
Summer treks, from June to August, are not popular for the Langtang region. The trekking trail is difficult and it gets tougher due to the scorching sun.
But, towards the end of monsoon, the greenery flourishes. The flora and fauna in the valley look fresh and beautiful. So, if you are a photographer or a botanist, you will enjoy your summer trek.
Highlights of Summer Trek
- You can see the forests, flowers and all the wildlife in its most beautiful form. The rhododendron forests, oak forests and pine forests all are inviting and stunning. You will feel alive with the colors of nature in the fresh and rainwashed surrounding.
- You can experience the local culture, enjoy the best of Tamang hospitality. Plus, become a part of their farming activities. Because summer is the local farming season in Langtang.
Tips for Summer Trek
- If you trek during this season, make sure you carry raincoats and insect repellents.
- Do not forget to wear hats and sunglasses to escape sunburns and the high heat. You will find the days quite hot in June.
- Since the trail is slippery this season, invest in shoes that provide good grip.
Langtang Trek Route Weather
The Langtang trek route is beautiful with varying weather conditions depending on the season in which you trek. The scenery is unique in each season but all equally beautiful. But as you ascend higher, the temperature starts to drop bringing the unexpected climatic conditions.
The weather in the lower altitudes of the Langtang region remains quite stable with bearable temperatures. But as you ascend further to the Langtang valley, there are high chances of weather changing every hour.
The highest point on your trek will be at Kyanjin Gompa which is the closest point to the chain of Himalayas in the region. And, as usual, the weather in the place usually fluctuates. So, before you decide to choose this trek, it is good to know about the weather conditions. You should choose the season when the weather remains most stable up in the higher altitudes.
Langtang Trek Costs
The season in which you trek will also affect a lot of your trekking costs. You will have to pack according to the weather which can increase your costs in personal clothing.
The package cost for your Langtang trek can range between $700-$900 which depends on the services you take in your package.
Your experience in the Langtang valley will be notable if you know the answer to “What kind of weather you can expect in your Langtang trek?”. You can then plan, pack the necessities and enjoy what it has to offer.
We recommend you to first decide the best time for Langtang trek. Once you know what it is like in the valley each season, you can pick the one that is most suitable for you.
Magical Nepal prepares itineraries according to your preference for every season. Our itinerary plan promises you enough acclimatization and an amazing trek. We also customize itinerary plans according to your preferences.
Contact Magical Nepal for any queries, information or help in planning any of your treks. We will be more than happy to help you with anything from acquiring permits to planning the best of your treks.