Permits Required for a Langtang Trek

Before you leave for the trek in the Langtang region you should be well aware of the two different permits required for a Langtang trek. They are TIMS card and Langtang National Park Entry Permit. In this article, there are details of these two permits, along with the information on why you need them, and how you get them.

There are many trekking options in the Langtang region. Some of the popular treks are Langtang valley trek, Gosainkunda trek, Helambu trek, and Helambu-Langtang trek. Each of these treks offers their own unique experience and are stunning. Yet, the number of permits is the same for all these treks. But, if you pass through the Shivapuri Nagarjuna National Park on your trek, you have to pay an entrance fee.

Permits are the mandatory documents before you start off for any treks in the Langtang region. You will have to show them at different checkpoints during your trek. It is better if you get the permits before you start your trek. But, if you do not manage to get the trekking permits in Kathmandu, you can get it at the trail-head.

Permits Required for the Langtang Trek

Here are all the details about the two permits required for the Langtang trek.


There are three types of TIMS card. They are green, blue and pink. If you are an individual trekker, you will get the green card which costs $20. Blue TIMS card is for organized group trekkers which costs $10. If you are a SAARC national, your pink TIMS card will cost only $6.

You can get the TIMS card from Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and Pokhara. Or from Trekkers’ Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) Secretariat in Kathmandu and Pokhara. TIMS Card is available after filling out the application form. Take a copy of your passport and two passport-sized photographs to get your TIMS Card.

There are some conditions in which you will not need a TIMS Card. You can travel without any permit if you are:

  • The controlled areas visitors who have received permits from the Department of Immigration.
  • Foreign guests with an invitation from the Government of Nepal.
  • Foreign nationals who have a residential visa in Nepal.
  • Authorities who have diplomatic missions or have official letters.
  • Expedition members who have the permits to climb mountains.
  • Visitors on a mission directed by Governmental departments.

Update Feb 13, 2020: TIMS check post is now in SyapruBesi. TIMS card is required for this trek. 

Langtang National Park Entry Permit

For any of the trekking routes in the Langtang region, you trek via Langtang National Park. And to trek in this region , you need to get a special permit- the Langtang National Park Permit. It costs $30 excluding 13% VAT (Value Added Tax).

Whereas, any citizen of the SAARC countries can get the permit for $15 excluding VAT. But the children under the age of 10, if are trekking in this region, do not need to pay any charges for the permits.

Langtang National Park Permit is available in Nepal Tourism Board, Kathmandu. Or you can buy them at the entry point in Dhunche.

Shivapuri National Park Entrance Fee

The starting point of the Langtang trek is at Syabrubeshi after around a 6-7 hours drive from Kathmandu. But many trekkers prefer to follow the Helambu trail starting from Shivpuri National Park. And, to walk through the Shivapuri National Park you need to pay certain charges i.e. $5 excluding VAT.

Why do You Need Permits?

Both the trekking permits for Langtang trek have their own importance.

Langtang National Park Permit keeps the trekkers’ records inside the National Park. This permit helps to maintain the safety and security of the trekkers. In case of any emergencies such as earthquakes, landslides, etc. the information can help the authorities help you. Also, it helps maintain the rules and regulations inside the national park.

The Local Area Permit helps to keep the record of the trekkers once they enter the region. With this permit, you are free to enter the region but you must follow the local rules and regulations. With the amount you pay for the permit, the local authority works for the maintenance of the trails, rest stops and information centers for the travelers.

A part of the revenue goes in the conservation and development of the tourism sector in the Langtang region. Your payment also goes for the maintenance and development of the park. Your money goes for the reestablishment of the better and safer trails devastated by April 2015 earthquake.

What will Happen if You Don’t Have A Permit?

Trekking permits are compulsory in Nepal. You have to show the permits in different checkpoints on your trail. If you trek without permits, you will have to buy the permits on the trail with an extra payment of fines. In the worst case, you can also face charges and punishment by the law.

Please make sure you get your permits before you start your walks in any trekking trail. Supply us the copy of your valid passport and the passport-sized photograph. We will get the required permits for your trek and complete all the legal formalities.


Is the cost of permits different for SAARC and foreign nationals?

Yes, the cost of permits for SAARC and foreign nationals is different. SAARC nationals have to pay less than foreign nationals.

What is the cost of TIMS card for SAARC nationals and foreign nationals?

TIMS Card for SAARC nationals is $6 and pink in color. For foreign nationals who are trekking in a group, it costs $10 whereas individual trekkers have to pay $20.

The card for foreign nationals in a group is blue whereas for individuals is green. From October 2018, you do not need TIMS card to trek in the Langtang region. You should now get a Local Area Permit.

What is the cost of Langtang National Park Entry permit? Is it different for SAARC nationals and foreign nationals?

The Langtang National Park entry permit costs $15 for SAARC nationals. But the foreign nationals have to pay $30(excluding the VAT).

If I am a solo trekker, do I need to affiliate with a company to get a permit?

No, you do not need to affiliate with any company to get a permit. You can get both permits required for a Langtang trek from the Nepal Tourism Board or at the trailhead.

Do I need a restricted area permit for this trek?

No, you do not need a restricted area permit. Langtang region does not fall under the restricted areas. So, you can buy the permits by yourself and do solo trekking as well.

Is the cost of the permits high in peak seasons than in off-seasons?

No. The cost of permits is same throughout all the seasons. However, if you trek without a permit on the trail, you will have to pay for the fines as well as the permit. This will cost you more than the actual permit cost.

Will I get the permits during the peak season?

Yes, you can get permits throughout the year. Permits are available in Nepal Tourism Board, Kathmandu, and on the head of your trail.

If you need extra information on the updated system regarding the TIMS card, other permits for the Langtang trek, or about other treks in Nepal, feel free to contact us.

You might also like

Article by Pradeep Guragain

Pradeep is the co-founder of Magical Nepal. He was born and bred in Nepal and is a seasoned hiker and rider.

1 Comment

  • Clare Rowntree

    April 29, 2023 at 10:44 pm

    Hello, I am interested in visiting dolpo/humla/Limi valley area for photography of traditional people and villages and not for trekking as my walking ability is no good. I want to travel solo but understand that I would need a restricted area permit and for those you need to be in a group of two. Is there any way round this ? Thank you


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Create your custom-made trip to Nepal

Get Started

Jackson from CITY, COUNTRY

Just purchased [a package name].

18 hours ago