Home > Travel Guide > Everest Travel Guide > Everest Base Camp Trek Permit
Share it

Everest Base Camp Trek Permit Updated Information & Complete Guide 2019

Update: Oct 1st 2018 TIMS Card is no longer valid for Everest Base Camp Trek

With decentralization a new permit system has been implemented on Everest Region. You will no longer required a Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) Card. With lots of controversy and dispute this new local entry permit has completely replaced the old trek permit in Khumbu. On this article you will get a complete information about the Everest Base Camp Trek Permit.

Everest base camp trek permit

Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit

This is a new permit which was imposed from 1st of October 2018 replacing an existing TIMS Card. Local government of Khumbu directly collect NPR 2000 Per Person from each foreigners. Please note that this permits cannot be obtained in Kathmandu. First if you are flying through Lukla you can obtain this is Lukla. If you are trekking from Jiri or Salleri this can be obtained in Monjo.

Note: Additional permit is required if you trek from Jiri, more information below.

Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit

This is an existing permit system for entering National Park. This you can obtain either in Kathmandu at Nepal Tourism Board Office or in Monjo at Park Entrance Gate. This will cost NPR 3000 Per Person. The most convenient way is to obtain this at Monjo. There is an office at Monjo, where they also showcase different informations about Khumbu Region.

Additional Permit for Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek

If you are following classic Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek then you will need to obtain an additional permit for Gaurishankar Conservation Area. This permit has to be obtained at Kathmandu in Nepal Tourism Board. This will cost NPR 3000 Per Person.

Required documents for trekking permits

You just need your passport detail for Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality and Sagarmatha National Park Entrance Permit. You will need two photos for the Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project Entry Permit and you also need to fill up a short form to obtain the permit. All these fees are payable in local currency only.

Note: For organized trek your agency will obtain all the permits.

About Author

Pradeep is the co-founder of Magical Nepal. He has trekked to almost all the trekking places in Nepal. He has been to Everest base camp more than eight times. He is the one who mostly answers your queries by giving the personal touch and experience.

(18) Comments

  1. Ron

    You can no longer obtain a Sagarmatha National Park Permit from the tourism board in Kathmandu. You have to get it at Monjo, as of 2018.

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      Hey Ron, I don’t think so as you can still obtain the national park entry permit in Kathmandu. Price is same whether you obtain it in Kathmandu or Monjo so it doesn’t make sense to issue national park entry permit in Kathmandu.

  2. Pleuni Visser

    Is a TIMS card required or not for the EBC trek?

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      You do not need TIMS Card for Everest. You will only need a local entry permit and national part entry permit. Additional you will need Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project Entry Permit if you are starting from Jiri.

      1. Dawid

        You or you do not ?

        1. Pradeep Guragain

          Thanks for pointing out, you do not need TIMS Card for Everest. I already correct on comment above as well.

  3. Narayana Swamy

    Hi Pradeep,

    I am an Indian and planning for base camp solo first time in April. Please let me know the basic approval and permission requirements. I heard that Indian has exemptions compare to other nationalities. Please suggest.

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      Hi Narayan,

      As an Indian you still need to obtain both permits for Everest, i.e. Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit and Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entry Permit. You will only pay cheaper.

      Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit NPR 1500 instead of NPR 3000

      I am not sure whether or not there is discounted price for Indian on Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entry Permit.

      April is a good month for Everest Base Camp Trek, have a good one.


    Hi narayana ,this is MINESH, on which date of April are you going to EBC? I am also solo trekker and seeking any likewise company.

  5. Werner Schabasser

    Dear Pradeep
    Is there a possibility to buy the The Gaurishankar Conservation Area Permit on the way (eg Shivalaya) or only in Katmandu?
    The Kumbu and Sargamata Entrance Permit – you wrote we have to by them in Monjo.

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      Hi Werner,

      I am not very sure but they do have a counter in Shivalaya, NTNC office for Gaurishankar Conservation Area. You should be able to obtain the permit there, but I suggest you to check with NTNC office at Kathmandu for confirmation. This you can request your hotel to make a phone call and confirm.

      Here is the recommended itinerary for Jiri to EBC Trek: https://www.magicalnepal.com/trip/jiri-to-everest-base-camp-trek/

      Have a nice trek.

      Regards Pradeep,

  6. Sashank Panwar

    Hi Narayana and Minesh , I’m leaving for Everest base camp on 2nd of April , contact for company on trek I’m going solo too. Contact -sashankpanwar@yahoo.in

  7. Matthew TenEick

    Hello Pradeep- Where in Lukla do you go to get the Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit? Cheers- Matt

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      This local entry permit counter is right on the main trail, you don’t have to be worried 🙂 They will make sure you get a one. Have a nice trek.

  8. James Miller

    Hi there. May we pay the EBC permit fee in US dollars or must we bring Nepal Rupees? Thanks!

    1. Pradeep Guragain

      Hi James,

      It is recommended to bring Nepali Rupees. Please note that you have to pay in Nepali Rupees in the teahouses for food and accommodation. They might accept USD but with less exchange rate and very very few teahouses accept card payment.

      Have a nice trek.

      Regards Pradeep,

  9. Yuliya

    Hi Pradeep.
    We are planning to do a 3 passes trek. I am a bit lost with all the permits and licences.
    What do we need for 3 passes trek and would it possible to buy them while trekking. We are not plannng to go to Kathmandu as we are arriving late in the evening and taking a flight to Lukla early in the morning.

    Many thanks,


    1. Pradeep Guragain

      You will need only national park permit and local entry permit. Both you can get while trekking, one in Lukla and one in Monjo. You do not need to do anything in Kathmandu. Have a nice trek. Here is a link to high copy map of Everest Region:


      Have a nice trek!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *