We spent two days crossing the Sele La Pass on our Kanchenjunga north to south trip. But if you are fit enough, you can make Ghunsa to Cheram in one day.
On arrival at Cheram, our hotel owner, on hearing it took us six hours to get to Cheram from Sele La Base Camp, encouraged us to do a day trip to Oktang Base Camp instead of staying in Ramche. So this is what we decided to do and were very happy with our decision since the hotel at Ramche was closed anyway and made of stonewall which would have meant it was extremely cold inside. And, importantly, there is no toilet in the hotel. See the detail of accommodation facility in Kanchenjunga.
The day trip to Oktang Base camp took us seven and a half hours. This is a breakdown of the trail from Cheram to Oktang Base Camp, via Ramche. Don’t forget your packed lunch!
Cheram Ramche Oktang Breakdown
1. Cheram to First Top
- Forty minutes, mix of up and flat
- Elevation gain approximate 400 m from Cheram
2. First Top to Pond
- One hour and forty minutes flat
- Trail passes through wide meadow
3. Pond to Ramche
- Forty minutes flat
4. Ramche to Oktang
- One hour and thirty minutes
- Fifteen minutes uphill before arriving Oktang Base Camp
5. Oktang to Cheram
- Three hours
- All flat expect twenty minutes downhill before arriving your teahouse